Monday, September 13, 2010

Motivating for My First Run

When I first started to get into shape almost 5 years ago, it was those first steps that were the most challenging and rewarding. I just had to keep reminding myself that all good things start small.  I also knew myself well enough to admit that if I set myself up right, I would be more likely to succeed.  So I went out and bought a pair of nice running shoes. Probably spent a little more than I needed to, but it was a bit of a reward for already making the decision to change.

Then I did it. I chose a time of day when most people weren't on the streets and then I got on those running shoes and ran and ran.... 2 1/2 blocks. Yes, ha, that's right. But this was okay. I was tired but I had started. Three days later, 3 blocks. Within a few weeks I was up to 10 blocks at a light jog. My wife then rewarded me with a heart monitor and a watch.  That helped me not burn out so fast. In time, I went to the high school tracks around our home and reached a mile, then 2, then 3.  I bought some running shorts.

A few weeks ago in Tahoe, I ran from Tahoe city to the base of Squaw Valley, 7.3 miles at 6200 feet in an 1 hour and 7 minutes. Sometimes, I think back to those early days and realize that a lot of it was a change in my mind, but most of all it was about me telling myself, and accepting, that 2 1/2 blocks was not just okay, but perfectly good from where I was coming from. One step at a time, it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment